Laurence Freeman is a monk of the Olivetan Benedictine Congregation of Monte Oliveto Maggiore and Director of The World Community for Christian Meditation. Fr Laurence was born in England in 1951 where he was educated by the Benedictines and studied English Literature at Oxford University.
Before entering monastic life he had experience with the United Nations, banking and journalism. In the monastery his spiritual teacher was John Main with whom he studied and whom he helped in the establishment of the first Christian Meditation Centre in London.
In 1977, he went with John Main at the invitation of the Archbishop of Montreal to establish a Benedictine community of monks and laypeople dedicated to the practice and teaching of Christian meditation. Fr Laurence studied theology at the Universite de Montreal and at McGill University, made his solemn monastic profession in 1979 and was ordained to the priesthood in 1980.
After the death of John Main in 1982, he continued the work of teaching meditation that had now begun to develop a global community. In 1991, Fr Laurence returned to England to establish the International Centre of the newly formed World Community for Christian Meditation that is now present in more than a hundred countries.
He has conducted dialogues and peace initiatives such as the historic "Way of Peace" with the Dalai Lama and is active in inter-religious dialogue with other faiths as well as in encouraging the teaching of Christian meditation to children and students and in the re-appropriation of the contemplative wisdom tradition in the Church and society at large. He is the Director of the WCCM Benedictine Oblate Community. In 2010 he launched the MEDITATIO outreach programme of the Community to mark the celebration of its twentieth anniversary.
Laurence Freeman is the author of many books and articles including "Light Within", "Selfless Self", "Web of Silence", "Common Ground", "A Short Span of Days", "Your Daily Practice", "Jesus: The Teacher Within" and "First Sight: the Experience of Faith". He is also the editor of John Main’s works and a member of the Board of Medio Media, the publishing arm of the World Community.
- Interview with Confronti Magazine (Italy) September 2013
- Knowledge is love - talk at Googleplex (January 2012)
- Financial Times interview (December 2011)
- Eucharist and Silence (DOC)
- Homily by Laurence Freeman, Armagh
- Talks in Venezuela: How Does Meditation Change Us?
- Talks in Houston, Texas, USA: Who is my Neighbour?
- Talks in Houston, Texas, USA: The Nature of Forgiveness
- Laurence Freeman Interview at the World Parliament of Religions (video interview May 2010)
- Fr Laurence’s Talk at The World Parliament of Religions Talk at Parliament of World Religions [PDF]
- Interview in Bosnia with Fr. Laurence
- Interview in Brazil with Laurence Freeman [PDF]
- Fr Laurence Homily at the Memorial Service for the 25th Anniversary of John Main (Westminster Cathedral 1/12/2007)
- Talk about Benedictine Oblation as a spirituality for today (The World Congress, Rome "The Contemplative Oblate Today) [PDF]
- Article by Lee Slew Hua: Life of Purpose in monastery without walls [PDF]